The extended deadline for entries has passed. We will be contacting winners in mid-February. Good luck!
This page will be updated periodically. Updates also will be posted on our Facebook Page!
LAKOTA CHILDREN'S ENRICHMENT STUDENT CHALLENGE!
The CHALLENGE: Tell Us About a FEMALE in YOUR community who INSPIRES you.
The FORMAT: Write a POEM about the woman or write a LETTER to the woman ~ the person should exist, but you do not have to name her in your submission. She should be someone you know or would like to know!
Win a prize for YOURSELF and win a prize for your SCHOOL
- Grand Prize High School Winner: $300 gift card
- Grand Prize Middle School Winner: $200 gift card
- Runner Up (at judges' discretion): $100 gift card
- A choice of a series of books from Scholastic Books
- A prize for your school in your name (if school is on Pine Ridge). School prizes may include an award ceremony, new books for the school library (given in your name), a poetry or spoken word workshop and/or a writing workshop with renowned author(s). School awards are contingent upon mutually convenient scheduling with winners' schools.
- Your name on a plaque!
- You will have the opportunity to perform your winning entry in a video
- Your winning entry will be published by LCE
- Further prizes may be added through the competition period.
INSPIRE US by telling us about who INSPIRES YOU
SUPPLEMENTAL FAQ (added January 10, 2013): CAN THE INSPIRATIONAL PERSON BE SOMEONE WHO LIVED AT A DIFFERENT TIME? YES, the person does not have to be alive right now, but they must have been part of the community.
SUPPLEMENTAL FAQ (added January 10, 2013): WHY CAN'T I WRITE ABOUT A MAN? This challenge asks you to celebrate the women in your community and to reflect on all they do to hold up half the sky. She can be someone you know or would like to know, someone alive now or in the past.
SUPPLEMENTAL FAQ (added November 14, 2012):
CAN STUDENTS SUBMIT MORE THAN ONE ENTRY? YES, but each entry will be considered as a separate entry ~ they will not be combined.
SUPPLEMENTAL VIDEO FROM ONE OF THE JUDGES: TIPS FOR TEACHERS AND MENTORS (added December 8, 2012)
The Official Rules, Fine Print and all that stuff:
This challenge is funded, in part, by gifts that were made in honor of Jane Chilson Dunne, grandmother of LCE President and Founder, Maggie Dunne. Jane was a literature major at Skidmore College and an avid reader and personal journal writer.